top of page

Welcome to Crime and Justice News

TX Man Reported Missing in 2015 Found Alive; Was He Truly Missing?

Rudy Farias, the Texas man who was found alive more than eight years after he was reported missing as a Houston teenager, was living with his mother the whole time, according to USA Today. In a news conference Thursday, the Houston Police Department said Farias was reported missing by his mother in 2015, but returned the next day. During the next eight years, police received tips and leads that indicated Farias was not missing, said Lt. Christopher Zamora. “Many of these facts included contact and statements with relatives, friends, and medical professionals.” From 2015 to 2023, police said Farias spoke with officers, but he used fake names and dates of birth, which misled officers. “Both Janie, Rudy’s mother, and Rudy himself gave fictitious names while interacting with various patrol officers,” Zamora said. “Janie continued to deceive police by remaining adamant that Rudy was still missing.” Janie alleged that her nephew was the person friends and family saw at the house. Police said that wasn't true.

Farias was found wounded on June 29 outside a church. Zamora said Farias refused transportation to the hospital, but his mother took him to the hospital later. The Texas Center for Missing shared this statement on behalf of the family: "We want to thank the media and public for all their support. My son Rudy Farias IV was found on Thursday, June 29, after being missing for eight years. Currently, we do not have any additional information on Rudy's case. What we do know is at the time of his recovery, a good Samaritan located him unresponsive and immediately called police and 911. My son Rudy is receiving the care he needs to overcome his trauma, but at this time, he is nonverbal and not able to communicate with us. We are asking for privacy during this difficult time but will share more details as Rudy continues to heal." Kisha Ross, who lives on the same street as Farias, said he often hung out with her family. "He used to come in my garage, chill with my cousin, son, and daughter," Ross said. "That boy has never been missing. Police said the district attorney has declined any charges for making false reports.


Recent Posts

See All


A daily report co-sponsored by Arizona State University, Criminal Justice Journalists, and the National Criminal Justice Association

bottom of page