A single juvenile who has been linked to a series of threats against historically Black colleges this year has been prosecuted as a minor by state authorities, an FBI official said Monday. The juvenile was not identified, but the long-standing inquiry into more than 50 racially-motivated threats that unnerved the nation's Black colleges is believed to have been resolved with the suspect's prosecution, according to USA Today. This comes after federal investigators had identified "several minors" as possibly associated with the threats, prompting a wide-ranging inquiry involving at least 30 of the FBI's 56 field offices.
Citing the suspect's status as a juvenile, authorities provided no descriptive information or where the person was prosecuted, except to indicate that the person was charged in connection with an unrelated threat. Since then, the juvenile's conduct has faced undisclosed restrictions. An investigation will continue into two other threat streams: one involving 19 racially-motived communications between Feb. 8 and March 31 that have been connected to Internet addresses abroad. Another set of threats, involving about 250 schools and having no racial undertones, have been tracked since June 7. Walter Kimbrough, a member of President Biden’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities council and former president of Dillard University, called the identification of a primary suspect "great news." He said, "Finding out who was doing this sends a message that there will be accountability."