top of page

Welcome to Crime and Justice News

No Homicide Charges In Ohio Case Of Man Who Killed 13-Year-Old Boy

The mother of Sinzae Reed is furious after a grand jury decided not to file homicide-related charges against the man who admitted to killing her 13-year-old son last year. After two days of testimony, a grand jury in Columbus, Ohio, instead decided to file felony charges against Krieg Allen Butler, 37, of tampering with evidence and improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle, Franklin County prosecutors announced Friday.

Sinzae Reed’s mother, Megan Reed, is inconsolable, said Dejuan Sharp, a spokesman for the family, reports Capital B News. Sharp plans to ask the U.S. Justice Department to investigate. Community organizer Ramon Obey II asked why it took over seven months for the Columbus Police Department and the Franklin County prosecutor’s office to complete their investigation when all the evidence points to Butler.


“I’m confused as to how this wasn’t murder when Sinzae was defenseless. … I’m completely in shock,” said Obey, co-founder of the community group J.U.S.T. “He fled the scene and the fact that he was just able to claim-self defense, it makes absolutely zero sense.” Butler claimed he acted in self-defense, but authorities have not released information proving Sinzae was armed. Sinzae was outside his home last Oct. 12 when an eyewitness told police that he saw Butler exit a red truck with a gun and open fire. Butler fled the scene and was arrested the next day. A judge set Butler’s bond at $1 million for the murder charge and a violation for illegally possessing a firearm while on parole for a 2019 domestic violence conviction. Seven days later, Butler’s charges were dismissed when he said he acted in self-defense. Butler is 6-feet, 3 inches tall and weighed 200 pounds; Sinzae was 5-foot-8 and weighed 128 pounds.

25 views

Recent Posts

See All

In Trump, System Meets a Challenge Unlike Any Other

As former President Donald Trump prepares to go on trial next week in the first of his criminal prosecutions to reach that stage, Trump's complaints about two-tiered justice and his supporters' claims

L.A. County Saves Juvenile Halls, But Skepticism Remains

Facing a deadline to improve dire conditions inside its two juvenile halls or shut them down, Los Angeles County won a reprieve from the Board of State and Community Corrections by beefing up staffing

Comments


A daily report co-sponsored by Arizona State University, Criminal Justice Journalists, and the National Criminal Justice Association

bottom of page