top of page

Welcome to Crime and Justice News

Jury Finds Wagner Family Member Guilty in 2016 Multiple Murder Case

A jury returned a guilty verdict Wednesday in the first trial stemming from the 2016 execution-style killings of eight members of a family in southern Ohio that prosecutors say was carried out by members of another family. George Wagner IV was found guilty of eight counts of aggravated murder in Pike County Common Pleas Court, reports the Wall Street Journal. Wagner, 31, was found guilty of 14 other charges, including tampering with evidence, burglary and forgery. Prosecutors said that while he didn’t fire a weapon, he actively participated in carrying out the killings and covering them up. The killings led to the largest homicide investigation in state history. After initial speculation that a Mexican drug cartel could be involved, investigators eventually concluded that four Wagner family members committed the killings in the hope of gaining custody of a then-2-year-old whose father is Edward “Jake” Wagner, brother of George. Prosecutors said it took the Wagner family months of planning but only a few hours to carry out the killings of eight members of the Rhoden family.


Most Rhoden family victims, ages 14 to 44, were shot in the face or head at close range at four homes in a single night, said prosecutors. One family member and his fiancée were killed in bed, and their infant was found between them covered in blood but otherwise unharmed. Wagner, who looked down while each guilty verdict was read, had pleaded not guilty. Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost praised investigators with the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation. “Investigating this atrocity would have been a monumental task for just about any law enforcement agency in Ohio,” he said. It was the first conviction at trial in the case. Wagner’s brother, Jake Wagner, and his mother, Angela Wagner, pleaded guilty last year and are awaiting formal sentencing. Wagner’s father, George “Billy” Wagner III, is scheduled to stand trial next year. After the two guilty pleas, prosecutors said they wouldn’t pursue the death penalty for any Wagners.

10 views

Recent Posts

See All

In Trump, System Meets a Challenge Unlike Any Other

As former President Donald Trump prepares to go on trial next week in the first of his criminal prosecutions to reach that stage, Trump's complaints about two-tiered justice and his supporters' claims

L.A. County Saves Juvenile Halls, But Skepticism Remains

Facing a deadline to improve dire conditions inside its two juvenile halls or shut them down, Los Angeles County won a reprieve from the Board of State and Community Corrections by beefing up staffing

Commentaires


A daily report co-sponsored by Arizona State University, Criminal Justice Journalists, and the National Criminal Justice Association

bottom of page