The Justice Department is closing its review of two former FBI agents who botched the investigation into Larry Nassar, the doctor who sexually assaulted dozens of girls and women, including prominent gymnasts, NPR reports. In an unsigned statement Thursday, the department said it had decided not to bring charges against the former agents after receiving a recommendation from experienced federal prosecutors who sifted through evidence and analyzed the issues. One of them is Kenneth Polite, the assistant attorney general in charge of the criminal division, who was not involved in earlier decisions. Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco pledged to Congress that she would launch a review of the case last October. "I am deeply sorry that, in this case, the victims did not receive the response or the protection that they deserved," Monaco testified.
Four elite gymnasts offered wrenching and vivid testimony at a Senate hearing last September. McKayla Maroney spoke of sharing her story of abuse with the FBI in grueling detail, only to hear silence on the other end of the phone. "I am tired of waiting for people to do the right thing," Maroney said. FBI Director Christopher Wray has apologized for the failings, which he called "inexcusable." The Justice Department said Thursday that authorities would continue to learn from the mistakes and that it would work with Congress to close any gaps in the law. The fallout from the Nassar scandal continues. Last month, 13 girls and women notified the FBI they intend to sue over the bureau's failure to follow up on early reports of abuse.