Training and Technical Assistance for Statewide Planning
The Justice for All Reauthorization Act, passed in December 2016, requires all applicants for FY2019 Byrne JAG state formula grant awards to include a statewide strategic plan that addresses resource allocation, use of data and implementation of evidence based practices. This comprehensive plan must be developed in consultation with a diverse group of stakeholders; defined in the Act. The plan must describe the evidence-based approaches to be used and illustrate how funding will be allocated. States will be required to update their strategic plans every five years.
Current planning efforts vary immensely among state administering agencies, due to capacity within the state agencies, lack of targeted training and technical assistance (TTA), and an inability to access and analyze the data necessary to plan for and measure program effectiveness. But, we can help.
The National Criminal Justice Association, with funding from the Bureau of Justice Assistance, offers training and technical assistance to SAAs to support your strategic planning efforts and the implementation of evidence-based policies and practices. This TTA is designed to help states meet the 2019 Byrne Justice Assistance Grant requirement of a comprehensive statewide strategic plan. TTA will be delivered in a variety of ways to best meet your needs; including onsite facilitation, phone/email contact, web based learning, regional trainings, and personalized support. In addition, NCJA will be providing grants management training, mentoring and leadership development to our SAA partners.
Request Training and Technical Assistance
Request strategic planning TTA
We offer three levels of training and technical assistance:
- Tier 1 TTA includes a less intensive problem-solving response. Information may be delivered be email or phone and include the dissemination of publications and data and referrals to online resources.
- Tier 2 TTA involves direct staff support and may include the customization of documents, training materials and publications, as well as facilitating connections through our SAAs peer-to-peer mentor network or the network of Governor’s Criminal Justice Policy Advisors.
- Tier 3 TTA involves the development of customized products or services to meet a state’s unique TA needs. In some cases, this will involve on-site delivery of TTA services.
Click the button below to complete the request form for statewide strategic planning training and technical assistance (TTA). You will be asked to:
- Describe the needs, problems or challenges your agency is seeking to address;
- Upload your agency's most recent strategic plan (if any);
- Identify areas of strategic planning that your agency wishes to focus on;
- Select a preferred method of TTA delivery; and
- Outline your timeframe for the strategic planning process.
Once you have submitted the TTA request form, NCJA staff will review the form and follow up with the individual listed in the form as the primary contact to determine next steps. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Deb Matteucci, Strategic Planning TTA Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 424-0834.
Regional Strategic Planning Training Sessions
These regional trainings are designed to help SAAs meet the new strategic planning requirements that will be part of the FY19 Byrne Justice Assistance Grant applications. The agenda and content for this training is targeted to those SAAs with limited experience in strategic planning, though experienced SAAs are welcome to attend, share their expertise and engage in the training.
Upcoming Training Sessions
- July 25 - 26 in Fort Worth, TX
- September 24 - 25 in Minneapolis, MN
Click here to register for these training sessions and to view the agenda.
The Fort Worth session will be for a general audience and the Minneapolis session is intended to be more advanced, though SAAs are welcome to attend any session that fits your schedule. Space for these training sessions is limited, and registration is on a first come first served basis. In the event we approach capacity, a restriction of one attendee from each state may be applied. Travel assistance is also available for states that need it.
Space is limited. To ensure all SAAs have an opportunity to attend, no more than two people from any one SAA will be permitted to register at this time. If space is available, registration will be opened to additional team members from registered states.
Limited travel scholarships will be available for those SAAs who would be unable to attend without financial assistance. Reimbursement is offered as follows:
- Airfare up to $600.
- 2 nights lodging at federal per diem rate (room + tax).
- 2 days per diem at federal per diem rate.
- Ground transportation up to $50.
Please contact Deb Matteucci, Strategic Planning TTA Program Manager at email@example.com or (202) 424-0834.